Thursday, April 16, 2009

I'll Be Pretty Surpised if I Survived Long Enough to Reproduce

On a typical day I swing from wildly optimistic to cold and withdrawn on a sort of parabolic path that probably coincides with how much sleep I got the night before and how long it's been since I ate. Part of me wants Iraq to succeed. I've met hard working, honest people who just want to regain a semblance of normalcy and are willing to put their lives at risk to meet that goal but then I see the poverty, garbage clogging the streets, the lack of adequate living, the greed, the corruption, the way those who have wrestled their way in to power now use it to a personal end and leave thousands wandering aimlessly, children who don't go to school, parents with little or no education who can't understand the importance of setting there kids up to make the next generation of Iraqis a more understanding and compassionate one. I don't want to come back here (ever really) when I'm older and still see kids begging for soccer balls and candy from passing humvees. Is this what we've taught them, have they been trained after six years that their best bet is to just sit around and wait for a possible hand out, to beg for trinkets? The Iraqis I know are proud and stubborn people, they carry a certain amount of pride, but I'm surprised how quickly they can turn into babbling idiots if they find there is something being given away. I compare it to when an American finds out a television camera is pointed at them when they are the spectator at a major sporting event or outside the window of the Today Show. The surprise, the rush of adrenaline, the uncontrollable urge to wave like and cry out greetings to loved ones wild eyed and incredulous even though most people are smart enough to realize that a camera mounted across a stadium can't pick up their voice. Maybe I get sad because I see this same trait in myself.

--

A man sat in a bus stop on a busy road in south east Baghdad. A few others stood around him waiting for a truck or a van with room to stop and pick them up. Across the road, workers in blue jump-suits tended to newly planted grass in the median as the pre-noon sun shone overhead. The heat wasn't oppressive yet. It won't be for another month or so, but a warm breeze blew through the scraggly palm trees and kicked up dust from the road. Iraqi police in their mix and match uniforms lazily manned a check point no more than 100 meters up the road resting their AK-47s on the toes of their boots. In the bus stop the man held a grenade inside his jacket. He rocked anxiously back and forth looking down the road as he fingered the safety pin and whispered softly reassuring himself.

His eyes grew wide as he saw the first truck in our convoy, a tan jagged toothed monster on the road compared to the compact and subcompact cars that clog Baghdad's byways, unmistakable. He stood up as our first truck passed and pulled the pin on the grenade. As the second truck came up he darted into the street and hurled the grenade overhand. A half a second. The driver swerved to the left as the parachute on the end of the grenade caught the wind and swung the warhead down as it ignited in a violent orange flash sending a liquid metal bullet tearing through the hinge of the passenger side front door, the TC's foot, and into the pavement. Before he had a chance to turn, shrapnel from the blast peppered the assailants face and he left a tiny trail of blood drops behind as he rushed off in to an alley to escape.

From my seat in the trail vehicle all I saw was the flash. As I heard the crack muffled by the com system on my ears I felt the over pressure of the blast and called out that we'd hit an IED to our 12 about 200 meters ahead. Reports went up on the net instantly, we thought we'd seen the man who threw the grenade run in to a small store up to our right. Everything happens so fast. You go from talking shit to scanning the roof tops all around you looking to see if you're being video taped. You're being watched, It isn't even a question really. Is there a secondary? Is this the beginning of a coordinated attack? Why are the Iraqi police so useful? You think of all these things and nothing at once. It's robotic.

We were lucky and the injuries were not severe. I'd never seen a through and through on a toe before. Then again I'd also never seen a piece of a bolt lodged in a sock. A piece of bolt that had just minutes prior been a part of a door of a humvee. If you looked at the hole the grenade made in the truck you could see a straight path to the ground beneath. An almost surgical wound in metal. This is what we fight against, men in bus stops with bombs in their hands.

--

Later that night on the way back to my room from eating dinner a loud explosion caused me to jump and assume my standard kung-foo stance I take when startled. My platoon leader and I laughed and said something about that one being pretty close. It's all relative, if you are used to hearing things explode you don't really take much notice unless it's happening within a distance that's going to effect you. Then we heard the whistle of the second and third round incoming and we started to run, of course laughing like little girls the whole way like soldiers are trained to react.

Actually I have a documented history of reacting inappropriately to danger. I took a video last deployment of an artillery barrage from my position on a roof top about 800 meters from the explosions. It's completely pitch black except for the for the purplish orange bursts in the distance and out of no where an arrant round lands a couple hundred meters to our right and as you hear the shrapnel fly past the camera you also hear me muffled sound of my idiotic laughter. What is funny about that? Natural selection may catch up with me yet.

A report came in that a civilian contractor had been injured so the aid station spun up and I hopped in the FLA to transport him back. He'd been hit just outside a fight of stairs and had dragged himself inside to take cover. When I showed up I walked down the stairs carefully avoiding the horror movie pools of dark viscus blood covering each step and walked in to the chaos of a new trauma being handled by a mixture of trained and untrained responders. Everyone wants to help, but at some point it always seems to become too many chiefs and not enough indians. Everything looked relatively under control so I went back up stairs to make sure the FLA was prepped and ready to take the casualty back to the aid station. We stabilized him, treated his wounds which were actually fairly extensive, a penetrating chest wound, a huge chunk taken out of the back of his right leg and various other puncture wounds, and drove him to the flight line to be picked up by a medevac bird. On the way to the HLZ, one of our providers was trying to keep the patient awake by asking him questions and he asked if he played sports, and I smirked and thought "not any more"... then I realized I needed a vacation.

I've heard in the days since that mortar rounds don't whistle, hence their name "the silent death". But I've never heard a mortar be called "the silent death" before and I definitely heard a damn whistle that night so whatever. I'm sticking by my story.

--

We carry around a good deal of gender bias with us no matter where we go. We are brought up that boys are blue and girls are pink and it can be difficult to overcome that ingrained prejudice. The other day a female medic asked me if I had any extra "cool guy" magazines because she was going to the firing range. I told her that I had last months Wired and Esquire and even a Pottery Barn catalogue (and no I have no idea why my mother sent me this). She laughed and said she'd be by later to pick them up.

A couple hours later she came by my room and I handed her a small stack of magazines and she gave me a funny look and said "no, dumb ass I meant like magazines for my M4, you have the P-MAG ones right?" Oh, that kind of magazine. With out giving it a second though I had just envisioned her becoming bored at the range and wanting something to read. I felt kind of stupid but I didn't have any extra to give her so I offered her the Pottery Barn instead... and she took it.

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I thought she wanted to get out some frustration by shooting at images she didn't like! What do I know (thankfully, nothing!) about requests for magazines for a firing range?

    ReplyDelete