Sunday, May 29, 2005

In Tongues

Touring so far is about what I thought it to be. A lot of down time driving, a lot of confusion with other bands getting sales done, small crowds and strange venue owners. Also it’s a hell of a lot of fun. You get to know the other guys in the RV probably more than you really want to, but it’s the kind of bond that only comes with being in very close quarters for extended periods of time. The girls are… interesting and although Inverse and I are relatively unknown, you can see that there bit of mystique about us in the minds of people we meet. It makes sense, we get to do the stuff that most people just see on MTV… well when MTV used to actually have music on it. And even if its on a small scale, we still put as much energy and effort into our performances and people notice that.

I’ve been recieved much better than I thought I would have been. I’ll admit I stereotyped the black clothed, fucked up hair having, makeup wearing guys and gals that have made up my audience so far, as rockers and metal heads who probably wouldn’t be interested in what I was bringing, but people have been more than complimentary and I have had quite a number sign up for my email list and have sold more CD’s than I thought I would have. Trevor, Inverses singer, said something like “Well the talent is undeniable and people pick up on it regardless of the kind of music they usually listen to,” (He makes fun of my love of Jason Mraz). But he’s right about that. On a side note he hit the crap out of his head on the stage last night during one of his more intense throws of passion. It looked like it hurt quite a bit, but nothing a little Don Pedro couldn’t fix. It’s a blast to watch him perform because he it totally into is music, which is something I’m still working on.

Where we played last night was an experience to be sure. What used to be The Gaslighter, in Gilroy is now, The Globe, a christian oriented venue thats stage is set up to look like a barn an old west gold town. On the bright side we did actually get in the venue unlike last years Gaslighter attempt but on the down side I was asked what my relationship with Jesus was about 15 times. The owner was nice enough and so were the people working there, especially this one staff member who was probably the coolest Mexican imigrant ever. He was always just right there when ever you turned around, ready to help move things, open doors, and just be generally helpful which most staffers aren’t. So to you, mystery Globe staffer, I salute you, you are in the hall of fame. Unfortunetly I don’t think I will ever see him again. Dominic, Inverses guitarist, got spoken to in tongues and was presented a bible by the Globes owner, a man who stood about 6 foot 6 who was very intimidating in the way that religious zealots can be. I think I’ll pass, but hey, we got paid and now it’s on to new and different things.

My friends are awesome. They drove fourty minutes to see me play a thirty minute show, brought my CD’s that had just been delivered to my house (3 days late) and then bought a ton of them. More of them will be coming to the Aptos show today and I’m excited to see some of them that I haven’t had a chance to in a long time.
I wanted this entry to be a little more compelling than the initial one because I want to look back at these in a few years and remember all the funny shit that has happened, but it wouldn’t do it much justice to type it all out and “what happens on tour, stays on tour.” ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment